BATTLE CREEK, MI. (WKZO AM/FM) — A new fund has been set up to help a Battle Creek police officer who was shot in the line of duty.
The donation fund will help the family of officer Jeffrey Johnson, who is recovering from gunshot wounds while responding to a domestic distubance.
Johnson was shot multiple times after approaching the suspected gunman early on Saturday morning. Johnson responded to a home on Cherry Street where he heard children screaming inside. The residents refused to let the officer inside the house.
Police say 30-year-old Andre Yarbrough, who was wanted on multiple warrants for assault, left the residence around 2:30 a.m. on Saturday, November 30th and shot Johnson numerous times before fleeing the scene.
Johnson was shot in the leg, in his wrist, and once in the chest at close range. Battle Creek Police Chief Jim Blocker says that the bullet-proof vest Johnson was wearing saved his life.
The officer used a tourniquet to prevent bleeding in his leg, and was transfered to Bronson Battle Creek Hospital where he was treated for his wounds. Blocker says that Johnson is in stable condition and is expected to make a full recovery.
After a 12-hour manhunt, Yarbrough was arrested later that day and is facing multiple charges including attempted murder.
Johnson has been with the department since December 2013, and previously worked with the Springfield Police Department.
The fund was created by the Battle Creek Community Foundation, on whose website people can make donations. Those looking to help can also send a check to the foundation at 32 West Michigan Avenue, Suite 1, Battle Creek MI 49017.
Officials from the Battle Creek Police Department say that all proceeds raised will go directly to Johnson and his loved ones.





