KALAMAZOO (WKZO-AM/FM) — Michigan Congressman Fred Upton, R-St. Joseph, says he’s hoping to see federal funding restored to the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative by Friday’s budget deadline.
When President Trump unveiled his $1.1 trillion budget outline last month, money set aside for the initiative was eliminated.
“(That’s a) $300 million fund that we’ve been able to get the last couple of years (for) water quality, fighting the Asian carp, all those different things,” Upton said.
He said Great Lakes legislators from both parties are working to restore the funding, at least in some way, even if only a budget extension is passed to avert shutdown of the federal government.
“We want to make sure that funding is in a continuing resolution as well,” Upton said. “Lot of work between now and Friday to see what’s in there and what’s not.”
Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Michigam, claimed last month the move would surrender Lake Michigan to the Asian carp because there would be no federal money to fund efforts to keep the invasive fish out.





