LANSING (WKZO AM/FM) — Enbridge has again this week, angered Michigan officials by revealing that more gaps have been found in the protective coating on line 5.
It sparked a demand from Governor Rick Snyder’s office and the DEQ for a “full accounting of the status of the Line 5 pipeline” due on December 11th to the Pipeline Safety Advisory Board.
The Canadian firm claimed a year ago there were no gaps. Then they said there might be tiny gaps in the coating. Then they were revealed to be quite large gaps and there were more than previously mentioned.
Monday they revealed that of the 48 anchor locations that have been inspected by divers and remotely controlled vehicles, a majority have gaps in the coating.
Snyder issued the strongest statement yet on the issue. “I am no longer satisfied with the operational activities and public information tactics that have become status quo for Enbridge.”
He is calling for much more transparency.
The company says the gaps pose no threat to the integrity of the pipeline itself.





