BATTLE CREEK, MI (WKZO AM/FM) — Benton Harbor Area Schools claim that an alleged assault against their cheerleaders took place following a basketball game at Battle Creek Central High School on January 7th.
It is alleged that Battle Creek fans began throwing trash and other items at the cheerleaders as they were leaving the building for their bus.
Representatives with Benton Harbor say that Battle Creek fans had been harassing their fans and team for the duration of the game before the situation allegedly became violent.
Both Battle Creek Public Schools and the Battle Creek Police Department have said that there was no evidence of any kind of fights that night. Cell phone footage shows an officer intervening in the matter, but Battle Creek says that the area was “noisy and crowded.”
On Tuesday, January 14, Battle Creek Public Schools issued a statement through a Facebook post, saying that “the cell phone video that has been shown on TV depicts a police officer helping to escort the team to the bus through a noisy, crowded area. It did not show any physical violence as was claimed.”
Meanwhile, Benton Harbor is continuing to assess the situation. However, a press release has since been issued, saying that “although there was a disturbance, based on security camera footage and discussions with staff and police officers who were present, there is no evidence that physical altercations or attacks took place.”
Benton Harbor and Battle Creek schools have a long-standing rivalry between each other.





