KALAMAZOO, MI (WKZO AM/FM) — The Michigan Public Service Commission is ordering Consumers Energy to take action after the utility company failed to mark underground lines “in a timely manner” in more than 20,000 cases.
WOOD TV reports the MPSC says the delay violates a state act and could lead to injuries and damage to underground utilities.
The commission says all of the violations happened in April and May after MISS DIG 811 was notified of plans to excavate the area, so crews could avoid hitting buried natural gas and electrical lines.
A spokesperson for the commission said of the 20,000 violations tracked, two counties stood out: Kalamazoo and Oakland.
In a statement released Friday afternoon, Consumers Energy acknowledge it has “not met expectations” in staking underground natural gas and electric lines.
The utility company said it’s seen an unprecedented increase in staking requests since earlier this spring, which has challenged its current two staking contractors in several metro areas.





