KALAMAZOO, MI (WKZO AM/FM) — A new report from The Educator’s School Safety network ranked Michigan fifth in the number of school threats immediately following the Parkland school shooting, and there have been many more since in the area.
Hastings Schools closed Friday because of an undisclosed threat and Bangor Schools closed Thursday, but there have been relatively few closings in Kalamazoo County, except the two incidents earlier this month in Vicksburg.
Kalamazoo County Sheriff Rick Fuller says they have been training and doing prevention work since the Columbine shooting and although there is no perfect plan to handle every situation, there are ways to reduce the likelihood of assaults.
Macomb County Sheriff Anthony Wickersham is amazed at the number of threats, saying they have gotten very good at tracking sources, and the penalties are very stiff.
Any suspect, whether an adult or a juvenile, could face a 20 year felony.
He says they could also bring charges against parents if they are aware the threat was made.





