PORTAGE (WKZO-AM/FM) — The Michigan Court of Appeals has declined to hear a motion from the attorney of Charles Pickett Jr. to drop second-degree murder charges after he allegedly ran over nine cyclists in near Markin Glen Park in Cooper Township, killing five last year.
The appeals court clerk sent a rejection letter that says they were not persuaded it needed appellate review.
Kalamazoo County Prosecutor Jeff Getting said he is not interested in cutting any deals in this case. Barring any other appeals, the case is set to go to trial on Sept. 19.
Pickett is charged with five counts of second-degree murder and five counts of driving while intoxicated causing death. He also is charged with four counts of reckless driving for allegedly injuring the four who survived.





