KALAMAZOO (WKZO-AM/FM) — The Michigan Department of Transportation says 2016 was a particularly deadly year in work zones.
MDOT spokesperson Nick Schirripa said 17 were killed in work zones last year.
“Which is up from 15 the year before,” Schirripa said. “There were 75 serious injuries, up from 69.”
Crashes were also up from 4,776 to 4,908. Many were directly linked to distracted driving.
“Distracted driving is kind of a new phenomenon, it’s what we as a society have been addressing for the better part of a decade now,” Schirripa said. “People just don’t seem to get it yet.”
With construction season looming, Schirripa is urging drivers to put away their mobile devices when they approach work zones. It’s a message being repeated throughout the country during National Work Zone Awareness Week, which runs through Friday.





