KALAMAZOO (WKZO) --Careless cooking is being blamed for an apartment fire that gutted a unit in a small apartment building at 729 Buchanan Street on Kalamazoo’s south side early Sunday.
A pan of grease was put on the stove to heat and the occupant says he fell asleep in the living room.
It caught fire and spread to the rest of the kitchen and then to the rest of the apartment.
The flames were contained in that unit but there was smoke and water damage to adjoining apartments.
Both occupants escaped without injury, and then alerted other tenants to get out.
The couple lost everything they owned and are being assisted by the Red Cross.