KALAMAZOO (WKZO) -- Three people escaped what would quickly become an inferno on Terrace Court in Kalamazoo Sunday morning. The son of a disabled woman helped her and her husband, who is suffering from cancer out of the home at about 8AM.
All three required treatment for mild smoke inhalation. Public Safety officers battled the flames for several hours putting out hot spots.
Two public safety officers were also treated for minor injuries.
They did manage to save the family cat but everything else was destroyed.
They are looking for the cause, reportedly examining what may have been an overheated power strip, but family members say they thought it began in a sofa.