HOLLAND (WKZO) -- A tenant claims a carelessly placed candle sparked a fire that has left 44 people temporarily homeless in Holland.
Firefighters responded to the blaze at the Harbor Village apartments on 40th Street Wednesday morning. The fire began in a second story apartment and spread from there, burning through the roof.
Many tenants spent the night in a Red Cross shelter at the Central Wesleyan Church. Firefighters were able to douse the flames after about an hour, but all 24 apartments suffered some smoke and water damage.
One tenant is being treated for burns and two firefighters suffered minor neck and back injuries when a ceiling caved in on them. They should all recover.
Early damage estimates are about half a million dollars.