OSHTEMO (WKZO) -- Fire fighters from several departments responded about 10 a.m. Tuesday morning to reports of a fire in the third floor of a building at Nottingham Place Apartments off Drake Road in Oshtemo Township.
Lee Anna Metty says she was trapped on her balcony by thick black smoke until a maintenance worker came along and cleared a path for her and her cat to escape with a fire extinguisher.
A few tenants were treated for mild smoke inhalation but there were no serious injuries. Once fire crews arrived the fire was quickly extinguished.
The fire marshal is on the scene looking for the cause, but preliminary reports blame a grease fire in a kitchen in one of the top floor apartments sparked the blaze. Tenants may be looking for alternative housing for a while due to smoke and water damage.