LANSING (WKZO) -- The Michigan Department of Community Health is issuing warnings about using kerosene space heaters and gas powered generators indoors without proper ventilation.
They burn all the oxygen and replace it with Carbon Monoxide, which is toxic to people and pets.
Spokesperson Angela Minicuci says flu-like symptoms are the tip off that you are slowly being poisoned.
She says the first thing you should do is evacuate outside and then call 9-1-1 and get some help on the scene.
She says it will sneak up on you if you aren’t careful, because its odorless, colorless and tasteless.Bringing the barbeque indoors to cook or running the car in the garage will also produce lethal levels of carbon monoxide.