KALAMAZOO (WKZO) -- Public Safety was called out late yesterday morning to battle a House fire in the 600 block of Edwin Avenue.
They suspect an accidental electrical problem may have triggered the fast moving fire, but are investigating. The adults in the building had their hands full just trying to get children and several pets out of the home ahead of the advancing flames and smoke.
Firefighters had to save a kitten that got left behind.
Six adults and five children were living in the home and lost everything but their pets and their lives, and the Red Cross responded to lend them assistance and temporary housing.
A neighbor required treatment at the scene for mild smoke inhalation suffered during the evacuation.