HOLLAND (WTVB) - An apartment fire in Holland is being blamed on a man trying to scorch the fur off a squirrel with a propane torch. The resulting blaze has left 29-families looking for new homes. The fire began on a third story balcony at Clearview Apartments. The man apparently intended to turn the squirrel into lunch when the flames got out of hand around 12:30 pm. Fire Capt. Mike Veldeer says high winds also whipped the fire and helped it spread. Mike Mitchell with the Holland Red Cross says they were setting up a temporary shelter until the dislocated families can find alternative housing.
At first maintenance personnel and then firefighters went through the apartment complex to make sure it was evacuated and all the pets were saved. There were no injuries, other than the squirrel.