COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Residents of an Ohio town have been advised to stay in their homes following a gas line malfunction that caused as many as 12 different building fires on Monday, officials said.
A call initially went out to the more than 3,000 residents of Fairport Harbor to evacuate. This led to long lines of traffic in this lakeside town 30 miles from Cleveland. Emergency officials then advised residents who do not smell gas to remain in their homes and allow emergency workers to assist at the scene, according to Metroparks chief ranger Mike Burko.
Fairport Harbor Mayor Frank J. Sarosy told a local television station that one of the village's main gas lines appears to be sending gas back into homes. City schools and businesses are closed and no injuries have been reported, according to local media.
By 10:30 a.m. local time the evacuation order was reversed and all gas to the city has been shut off.
The National Weather Service said the temperature in the area was in the 20s and a high of 26 degrees was expected in Fairport Harbor on Monday.
(Writing by Mary Wisniewski, reporting by Kim Palmer, Editing by Greg McCune)