WAYLAND (WKZO) -- Part of downtown Wayland had to be closed Monday because of a gas leak on Superior Street. Work was expected to continue Tuesday to repair it.
Employees at a bank smelled gas first, Monday morning. It took crews much of the afternoon and into the evening to track down the source of the potentially explosive leak somewhere under an adjacent parking lot.
A branch of the Hastings City Bank, a florist and gift shop, and a law office were all evacuated for the day to prevent any mistakes that might trigger an explosion.
Work continued this morning to plug the leak.
The fresh memory of the natural gas leak in Wayne, Michigan that destroyed a furniture store and killed two people helped motivate crews to get to the source.