So.cl; the Microsoft social media site that accidentally went online a few months ago, is now officially live and inviting you to try out their new service. You can join the service as long as you're 18 years and older, and have a Facebook or Windows Live account.
Microsoft's So.cl, pronounced "Social" is a product of Microsoft's research lab Fuselabs. The site offers enhanced features such as Explore, Feed, Post, Video Parties and the ability to share any web content.
It looks like Microsoft has indeed created its own social network to compete with the likes of Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Pinterest. The timing of the launch is perfect, since Microsoft silently launched So.cl two days after Facebook became a public company.
5 Snarky thoughts
- Nothing like being 8 years late for the party Microsoft
- so.cl might be the worst name for a product ever. When you have to explain how to pronounce the product, there will be issues.
- Didn't Microsoft see what is not going on with Google+ and scrap this idea?
- how many social networks can one human being keep up with?
- Yep this will be the Facebook killer. What the hell was Microsoft thinking?