YPSILANTI, MI (WKZO) – Tonight at 7pm at the Convocation Center in Ypsilanti, the Western Michigan Broncos and Eastern Michigan Eagles square off in battle of Michigan directional schools. WMU is coming off their best performance of the season after defeating Toledo 74-52 last Saturday. The Broncos have won 8 of their last 11 games, including all 7 home games. EMU enters the game at 7-10 and 2-1, but are just 3-9 in their last 12 games. Before the in-state rivals tip off here are some noteworthy stats to look at.
* This will be the 110th meeting between these two teams, with the Broncos holding a 54-45 advantage in the all-time series.
* The Broncos are 16-2 against Eastern Michigan under head coach Steve Hawkins, including a 6-2 record on the road.
* The Broncos defeated the Eagles 87-60 in their last meeting in Ypsilanti, on Feb. 27, 2011
* Flenard Whitfield scored 19 points against Toledo, his highest scoring output since returning from his six-game absence.
*WMU, EMU, CMU and Ball State are all tied atop the MAC West at 2-1.
*Freshman Austin Richie and Hayden Hoerdemann lead the Broncos bench in scoring with 6.2 and 5.5 points per game, respectively. Hoerdemann also ranks first in the MAC and fourth in Division I with a .559 three-point shooting percentage
*EMU is averaging 53.1 points per game. That ranks 342 out of 344 Division 1 college basketball teams.
* Steve Hawkins has 153 career wins, which ranks second among WMU head coaches in program history
*Darrell Lampley leads the Eagles in scoring with 13.5 points per game
* Matt Stainbrook has scored 13 or more points in his last six outings for the Broncos.