- Mattawan qualified for a playoff spot for the second year in a row last week.
- Mattawan has defeated each of its opponents by at least 20 points in 2012.
- Portage Central clinched its sixth winning season in seven years with last week's win.
- Portage Central is 8-3 against Mattawan since 2001.
- Portage Central's only loss of the season came against Stevensville-Lakeshore, who Mattawan has yet to play.
- Keys to the game:
Mattawan: The rushing attack has been essential for the Wildcats this season. The triple option is extremely useful at the high school level because it wears down opposing defenses. If Mattawan can establish two or three different running backs, Portage Central could have its hands full on Friday.
Portage Central: Portage Central is definitely the underdog in this game, but a few good defensive stands could go a long way. If the Mustangs can figure out the triple option or limit the offense to one running back, Portage Central could find itself with a huge upset at home.
- Prediction: Portage Central should get that sixth win to earn a playoff win this seaosn; unfortunately, it will not come in this game. Mattawan's rushing attack is too strong. It'll be closer than some people think, but the Wildcats will remain undefeated going into a huge game against Stevensville-Lakeshore. Mattawan 38, Portage Central 27