The results of the 2013 Wisconsin State Fair Meat Products Contest are in...
So whose meat can't be beat?
While the "Best in Show" hasn't been announced yet, we do know the top honors dished out in these categories:
- Best Flavored Bacon = Newton Meats Inc.'s Hickory Smoked Bacon.
- Best Bone-In Ham = Haen Meat Packing Inc.'s Hickory Smoked Ham.
- Best Emulsified Ring Bologna = Haen Meat Packing Inc.
- Best Flavored Summer Sausage = Lake Geneva Country Meats
- Best Dried and Smoked Beef = Lodi Sausage Company
- Best Traditional Snack Sausage = Brandon Meats & Sausage Inc.
- Best Specialty Cooked Bratwurst = Brandon Meats & Sausage Inc.
- Best Restructured Jerky = Geiss Meat Service
The "Best in Show" will be named August 6th. More than 100 entries competed for these top honors.
Meantime, the contest's top 20 items will be auctioned off on Tuesday, August 6th, at the Governor's Blue Ribbon Meat Products Auction at the Wisconsin State Fair in the Ag Oasis. The special event is hosted by the Wisconsin 4-H Foundation and proceeds benefit the state's nearly 350,000 4-H youth.
Buyer registration and dinner begins at 5:00 p.m. with the auction bidding beginning at 6:30 p.m.
Limited tickets are available and include a seated dinner and silent auction. The $50 ticket includes State Fair admission ticket, parking, dinner and beverages. You can get more information here.